Monday, 19 July 2010

Book Reviews - Marilyn Monroe

circa 1952:  Studio glamour portrait of American actor Marilyn Monroe (1926 - 1962), wearing a lame evening dress and fur wrap, early 1950s.  (Photo by Hulton Archive/Getty Images)

Hi. You may have noticed that I've started to advertise a few books that sell through Amazon. I own most of the books I advertise and I will be doing a few book reviews.

My daughter has a 1950's dress up day today at school, and of course last night I went straight to my Marilyn Monroe books for reference. We found all we needed in 'Marilyn mon amour' by Andre De Dienes. Mr. Dienes was a Hungarian photographer living in Los Angeles and took the stunning photographs of Marilyn in this book from 1945-1953. A beautiful book.

I borrowed 'My Story' by Marilyn Monroe from the library. There was a bit of a to do finding the book as it was stored in the archives. An excerpt from 'My Story', with Marilyn asking her agent: "Then why can't I get a job just to make enough money to eat on?". "It's hard for a star to get an eating job," said Johnny Hyde. "A star is only good as a star. You don't fit into anything less." A simple and yet insightful book.

The new book about Marilyn Monroe is 'Fragments' due to be published in October. Read this review from The New York Times:
Enhanced by Zemanta
By the way my daughter wore rolled up jeans and a top knotted at the front as her 1950's outfit, inspired by 'Marilyn mon amour'.

Find all the books I've reviewed under 'My Favourite Books' in the side-bar, happy reading!

No comments: