Friday, 28 October 2011

Costume Jewellery made in China ...

Seahorse Watch  £10
Hi Readers, we tried out Old Spitalfields Market on Tuesday, and came away a bit disillusioned.

Yet again the popularity of costume jewellery made in China overwhelms everything else.

I have even started to stock some myself.  I'm not a purist about selling specifically vintage jewellery, although the real stuff is by far my favourite and incomparable.  I doubt whether Chinese costume jewellery made now will survive 30 years or more.  I never see any jewellery 'Made in Hong Kong' that was manufactured in the 50s, 60s and 70s. 

At the end of the day it's 'what peeps want'.  I stock a few medium to high quality pieces made in China,  and I have to say they really are attractive, and I'm sure I'll be down to the Chinese wholesaler for Christmas stock as it's just so popular. 

Costume jewellery made in China is affordable, the better jewellery is well made, and can be rather beautiful too.  In these tough economic times it really is 'what peeps want'.

I'd love to think that we could manufacture this kind of jewellery here in Britain,  but of course it doesn't make economic sense, we don't have human rights issues, but that's another story.

What do you think about costume jewellery made in China?

No comments: